Sunday, February 20, 2011

Maui/Molokai

I recently took a trip to Maui and Molokai. My best friend from High School, Jennifer, lives on Maui with her husband, Joel. Her parents, Susan and Eddie Harper, retired there as well. In November, her dad, Eddie passed away after battling Alzheimer's. When we moved to Oklahoma (when I was about 10), the Harper's lived down the street. Jennifer has a younger brother the same age as Jonathan. We were instant friends. The Harper's house was our second home and Susan and Eddie our second mom and dad. We were always welcome at the Harper's and were invited on many a getaways. We camped, spent time at "the lake", went to Hawaii etc. Eddie was adventurous and always willing to have Jonathan and me tag along. I am grateful for the opportunities he gave me in life and was grateful to be able to attend a celebration of life in his honor.

Celebration of Life

Jen and Joel


Susan and Jen



Run for the Whales
It just so happened that while I was in Maui, there was a half marathon. I was all over that! It was a little hilly, but the weather was nice and obviously, so was the scenery.



Four Waterfalls Hike






Paddleboarding


Maui Beaches





Molokai
A college friend for mine, Ui, lives with her husband and 4 cute kids on Molokai. I took a ferry over to visit her and see the island of Molokai. Ui is one of those people that everyone loves. She is so happy and fun. She was kind enough to drive me around Molokai. It is a very pretty island with a very casual, laid back way of life.

Phallic Rock (apparently everyone but me has heard of the Phallic rocks)

Ui and Makena

view of Ka'aluapapa - the leper colony is here. I was so disappointed to not get a view of it. I find the history of the leper colony very fascinating.


view of Molokai from ferry

Makena Beach (Big Beach) - Maui


nice boob - how do you not know your boob is hanging out?

I thought this looked very post card-ish

3 comments:

The Palmer family said...

HAHAHA! I am dying over here with the boob shot! Seriously how does she not know!!? She probably usually hangs out on the nude beaches. I love the pictures of hawaii. Thanks for everything! We had a blast with you guys while we were there. Cya soon!

Jen Tapler said...

Great pics! Thank you for being here Rebekah. I really can't tell you how much it meant to us. And of course it was fun hanging out again after all those years - just like old times. Let's not let so many years go by before our next visit!

Jamie and Family said...

Yes, I had to comment on the boob shot too. Hilarious!!!!

What a great trip!!

And it's soooo you to do a 1/2 marathon on a trip to Hawaii...I love it!

As I have been running for six short weeks, for the first time in my life...I have to tell you that I think of you every single time I run because I used to think you were from a different planet how much you ran in college. It sounded impossible! And it's strange that I'm liking it! The most I've gone so far is 7.22, but I want to do a half!