Every 4 years, the stakes (at least in this part of the country) in the church organize a pioneer trek. It is designed to give the kids, ages 14+, a little taste (very little taste) of what the pioneers went thru as they traveled across the plains. It takes a lot of people to pull this off. Last year just before Covid hit, Chuck and I were asked to be a Ma and a Pa. I really did not want to go. I have so much respect and admiration for the pioneers, but I hate pioneer stories and songs. I do not find them to be faith promoting or inspiring. I find them to be depressing and it makes me question why the Lord made it so hard for the early Saints. And I do not like to camp. Before I had a chance to say no, the trek was cancelled. Whew, dodged a bullet there. The Trek was rescheduled for this year but Chuck and I were not asked to go. Hannah was planning to go. Cameron was not. He felt obligated to stay home and play football even though it was Fall break and there should not have been a football game AND even though going on trek is a once in a childhood opportunity.
Then two weeks before Trek, we received a call asking us to be a Ma and Pa on the Trek. They were desperate. Apparently, the organizers, the Turners, started with a list of 25 couples to ask. After having to delay for a year, of the 7 couples, some were no longer able to go, so the Turners worked on another list of 25 names. All of them said no. They started calling bishops to ask for suggestions and our bishop gave them our names. We were the 19th couple they called. Chuck already had the week off and my parents were planning on being in town to help with Emily's girls so they could keep an eye on Cameron and Christian. Even though I still had no desire to go, I felt like everything had fallen in place, making it impossible for us to say no. Plus, I knew Chuck has always wanted to go. I knew I needed to take one for the team.
We met at the church on Thursday morning and met our kids. We had 8 kids (Emily, Ana, Dehlia, London, JD, Mason, Alex, Hayden) a big brother and big sister who were adults (Jeff and Sarah). We really lucked out with our family. We had great kids including our big brother and sister. We drove to Forest Lakes where we assembled and packed our handcarts. Everyone put their personal items in a 5-gallon paint bucket (which I learned we would also use as a chair) and bedding was put in a large trash bag. We had a picnic lunch (provided by the caterer as all food was) before we hit the "trail" which was a forest access road. It was very easy going. We walked between 8 and 9 miles in perfect weather for the day. We had several stops on the way where we were able to use porta-a-potties and hear pioneer stories. At one point, we were chased off by a "mob". When we got to camp, our tents had been dropped off by the wranglers and dinner was prepared for us. We set up camp and had dinner and dessert as a family with a devotional before bed.
The girls slept in a tent, the boys in another, Chuck and Jeff (big brother) slept under the stars, and I slept in my own tent. Okay, I didn't really sleep, but attempted to sleep. In the morning we had breakfast and hit the trail. We probably didn't do more than about 6 miles. We had the women's pull where only the girls were allowed to pull the cart and it probably was not more than about one quarter of a mile, but it was steeper than what we had been doing. I think the idea is to help the girls to understand that sometimes the pioneer women did not have the help of their husbands (because they had died) and to help them understand that they can do hard things. The problem I have with the women's pull is that it feels like the underlying belief is that women are weak. I disagree with that. Yes, comparatively speaking, men are physically stronger than women. But women are not weak. There were times during the trek that we had all our girls in the yoke and Hannah spent most of her time in the yoke. Anyway... we got to camp in the early afternoon and the kids were allowed to wander around and participate in different pioneer activities and games like making butter and candles. That evening after dinner the kids had a devotional with the stake president followed by a dance, where they actually danced.
Then it was another sleepless night for me. The wind was blowing pretty hard, making lots of noise, but I would not have slept regardless. In the morning we had an hour of quiet time where the kids were supposed to go off by themselves and journal, read, pray, etc. I thought there was no way they would do this, but they actually did. After that was a testimony meeting for the kids. Then we packed up and hit the trail for our final day. It was a very short hike out, maybe 2 miles. After we go to our final destination, we took the carts apart, got our things to the car and had lunch. We drove home and said good bye to our families.
The following Sunday we had a fireside where we listened to some speakers and watched the slide show (there were cameras, camera men and go pros all over the place). Overall, Trek was a great experience. I was very impressed with the way it was organized and I am so glad we went.
























No comments:
Post a Comment