Saturday, January 24, 2009

4:06:15

Rock-n-Roll? No, not so much! Last weekend, I ran the Arizona Rock-n-Roll Marathon. I trained hard; long runs, tempo runs, speed work, short runs, yoga, weight training, cross training. My goal was 4:00:00 (or under) as well as just feeling good. I felt great during my training and I was ready! But did I accomplish my goals? Obviously not the first one...and no... not the second one either. My 10K time was 56:43, right on pace; my half marathon, 1:57:51, still right one pace with a little room; at 20 miles, 3:03:42, and there goes a 4:00:00 marathon. I don't know what went wrong... I was drinking, I was eating, I had prepared. I felt great up until about mile 16 and then it was as if someone pushed the off button. My body did not want to go. It wasn't muscle or joint pain. It wasn't mental. So, why did I fail? I just don't know and I will never find out because I am never doing another marathon! Oh, and by the way, the Phoenix Rock-n-Roll marathon is not all that!

I don't know how I managed to smile especially because I look like an idiot with my hydration belt, bib, shirt around my waste, etc.

that's me in the pink finishing my last marathon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you don't look like as big of an idiot as the chick behind you with spiky red hair and the muffin top belly hanging over her shorts.

Anonymous said...

oh man, I hope that's not some friend of yours who reads your blog!!! And BTW - I couldn't run 1 mile in under 4 hours, so I'm impressed!

The Rhiens said...

Congratulations! You may not have reached your goal, but I think to run a marathon at all makes you a winner. Way to go!

Love, Earlene