Sunday, February 21, 2010
And yet another thing to NOT go our way...
Okay, so I know that our trials in life are trivial compared to those of others. And for that I am so thankful! But come on, can we really not catch a break? We took baby C to the pediatric urologist to have him look at his hypospadias (displacement of the urethra). The urologist said it looked normal to him. Great! So, let's finish the circumcision and be on our way. Oh no...nothing could be that easy. Since baby C was (at the time) a month old and weighed 10 pounds, he was now too big and too old? to finish the circumcision in the office and now it has to be done out patient surgery when he is at least 6 months and will require anesthesia. Not to mention cost hundreds of more dollars. Apparently, he will bleed more being bigger, but I'm not sure what that has to do with having to do it in the hospital. My mom consulted with some of her co-workers who thought it was ridiculous that we were being told he was too old and too big to finish the circumcision in the office. So, I talked to my pediatrician (knowing she wouldn't do it because in the medical world, they are all in bed together) who said generally they like to do the circumcision in the office in the first couple of weeks because they get too big for the instrument they use. Okay, but babies are born at 10+ pounds??? She did suggest calling a pediatric surgeon to see if they would be comfortable doing it in the office. So, I called them and the answer was of course the same as the urologists. I have a hard time trusting doctors to begin with, so who do I believe? One thing that has kept me from pursing this any further is the fact that the urologist also said that baby C has a hydrocele (fluid in the scrotum) which if does not correct itself has to be surgically corrected. So, that will be done at the same time of the circumcision. But it could also correct itself by then. I'm just having a hard time believing that he is too big and too old to finish the circumcision without general anesthesia. If you know anything about this, please let me know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Seems ridiculous, but I don't know much about it...I didn't have Sol circumcised...
Post a Comment