Hannah had been asking for some time to go to the beach so I decided we should do a short trip to the beach and Knott's Berry Farm for Fall Break. I am not the biggest fan of the beaches I have been to in San Diego, so I asked around of a better place to go and it was suggested we go to San Clemente. I booked a Air BnB that was located a short distance from the beach.
We drove to CA on Saturday and spent a little bit of time at the beach around Sunset.
On Sunday we spent the majority of the day on the beach. The weather was perfect but the water was cold. It did not phase the kids much, but I did not get in and Chuck only got in for a bit. The kids took turns boogie boarding. Hannah and Christian did great, Cameron could not really get the hang of it. We took a lunch break and when we went back to the beach the water was closed due to a shark sighting. The kids hesitated a bit but eventually got in when they saw other people in. However, they got called back by the lifeguards. After about 4 hours had passed since the shark sighting, the water was opened. Hannah and Christian complained about being chaffed between the legs and Hannah stepped on something that stung her foot. But other than that, it was a good beach day. We did some shopping that evening at a surf shop outlet. Hannah was in heaven and the boys were very patient.
On Monday we drove to Anaheim and went to Knott's Berry Farm. There were few people there and not much waiting in line which makes for a good day. Two of the biggest roller coasters were not operational, which was fine with me. Christian said he was glad one of them was closed because he did not want to go on it but he did not want to be a wimp. We were quickly making our way thru all the rides when, while in line for the rapids ride, it started to rain. We were able to ride that one because it was not a roller coaster, but all the roller coasters were shut down. This was about 3pm and the park closed at 5pm. The only roller coaster left that Chuck and the kids had not ridden was the wooden one. (I don't do wooden roller coasters.) We did not know how long it would rain and we did not want to leave, so we ate a funnel cake and looked in the shops. (The shopping was pretty pathetic.) We kept the faith and about 1/2 hour before the park was to close, the roller coaster opened and Chuck and the kids were able to ride it twice.
On Tuesday morning, Hannah and I headed to the beach first thing in the morning so she could boogie board. We went back to the house and packed up. The boys headed to the beach while Hannah and I checked out some of the shops as we walked to the beach. We finally found a tourist shop where we could buy some souvenirs. The boys were just about done on the beach when we got there, so they got changed and we grabbed some lunch before heading home.
San Clemente was an interesting city. The beach was really nice and not crowded at all. The streets were small and windy with cars everywhere. The houses were mostly multiple family residences, many I am sure were rentals. They were literally on top of one another with no yards. And the people were not very friendly at all. When we went out, the employees performed their job duties but did not go out of their way to make us feel welcome. It was really quite odd. But still we had a great trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment