I've been needing to do this post for a week! Chuck has been in Battle Mountain, Nevada for the past week for WHPSC. How the challenge works, the "motors" have 5 miles to get up to speed and their speed is measured over the last 200meters. They then have to be able to stop in .8 of a mile. An engineer at Honeywell (Raymond) designed a tricycle for the WHPSC, which he has competed in many years. But since he is not a cyclist, he wanted to use one for his "motor" to see how fast he could get his bike, the Orion, to go. So, enter in Chuck. This is something Chuck has wanted to do since he was a teenager. I can't say he jumped at the chance, making excuses like he wasn't sure he wanted to leave me for the week, there were faster "motors" than him, he might not fit in the bike (and it was close) etc,. but I could tell he really wanted to do it. After all, it is totally Chuck to want to be the motor for the fastest tricycle in the world. So, last Sunday he drove up to Battle Mountain (some 700 miles from Tempe). Here's a short sequence of events:
Monday morning -qualifying run, did not qualify because brakes did not work, but the speed was 53.6mph
Monday evening - could not race since they did not qualify
Tuesday morning - no problem qualifying, brakes worked, speed 55mph
Tuesday evening - SET A NEW WORLD RECORD: 66.08mph (old record 63mph)
Wednesday evening - could not run due to high winds
Thursday evening - let's not talk about it
Friday morning - ran twice, but nothing to talk about except for throwing up after the run
Friday evening - ran once, but again, nothing to talk about
Friday evening - ran once, but again, nothing to talk about
Saturday evening - ran once, but just too windy to do anything
Meanwhile, I was here with the kids, day in and day out. But we managed to stay busy and I managed to stay sane. There are a lot of things I hate about Chuck being gone: being with the kids day in day out, not getting my morning run (I did take the kids one day, it wasn't too fun), having to clean the kitchen after dinner, not getting to my yoga class(es), etc. But there is one thing I love, sleeping in the middle of the bed! I don't know why, but I love to sleep in the middle of a big bed. Chuck will say I sleep in the middle of the bed even when he's here, but it's really not true. But I will give up the middle of the bed just to have him home! I'll post more pictures next week.
The Orion, fastest tricyle in the world
1 comment:
OK, your middle of the bed talk made me think of this and I thought it would make you laugh...do you remember when we were kids and I had that water bed? One of the many many nights you spent the night and I think it was morning already and maybe you were awake and reading, but I was still asleep? You claim that when I rolled over, I actually hurled into the air and flipped over in the air??? Why is that sooooo hilarious, even now???????
Post a Comment