Friday, September 5, 2008

Yes Breastfeeding, No Breastfeeding!


Hannah with her nursing pillow and her "fringe"


Today was Hannah's last day to nurse. I am a HUGE advocate for breastfeeding. I feel so strongly about breastfeeding, that once my kids are older, I would like to certify as a lactation consultant. I cringe when I see a baby (that wasn't adopted) being given formula. It upsets me to hear mother's say they didn't produce enough milk or their baby just wouldn't latch on because it's simply not true. And it makes me sad when mothers want so bad to nurse a baby and they have struggle after struggle. Breastfeeding is a learned behavior for both mom and baby and it takes work. Some mothers and babies have no problem figuring out the nursing thing. But a lot do. I was one of them, especially with Cameron. But unlike a lot of moms, I persevered. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we are made to believe that formula is just as good as breast milk. It's not. We also live in a society where there isn't a lot of education and support for women who want to breastfeed. More often than not, a new mother would not even be encouraged to try breastfeeding and a struggling mom would be encouraged to give it up. I know I was, even by those who love me and knew how important it was to me. Nursing Cameron was not a pleasant experience. Although, I did have some struggles with Hannah, nursing her was completely different than nursing C and although I can't say I loved it, I did enjoy it more than I enjoyed it with C. I've enjoyed nursing my babies more once it was only 2-3 times a day and they had gotten to the point they were too busy to cuddle. It was my chance just to hold them. But it was time for Hannah to be weaned. And although I am ready to be done nursing her, to my surprise, I'm a little bit sad about it. I have a lot of experience and knowledge about breastfeeding. So, if you ever have any questions, let me know!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

The end of nursing a baby is a heartbreaking time....I had such a hard time giving it up with my kids. I always thought I'd try to nurse to a year and then I'd be done for sure - but when that year gets closer it's harder to break away!

With Gabe I had to wean him because I was going to South Africa - without him - and so I had to make sure he'd be ok before I left. He did fine - I bawled my eyes out....

And with Hunter it was a similar thing - we would be going to Hawaii (without him) when he was 13 months. I was so worried about it right up to the time he turned a year. He would NOT take a bottle, a sipp cup, milk, juice - he would ONLY nurse and eat baby food. So when he hit a year I worried that the weaning process would take forever, and decided I better start in time for our trip. He was FINE - and once again I cried like a baby. And luckily after a couple of days of no nursing he caught on to a sippy cup and started drinking milk like crazy.

I know the health benefits are amazing for the kids - but I think I nursed because it required me to have some down time. I have missed my time to snuggle my boys in our big comfy chair. I miss that quiet time we had together....

almost enough to want another baby.....(but not right away!)

I have enjoyed our date nights that we have been able to take now, and I have enjoyed not being quite so tied down....but it was worth it!