Sunday, August 23, 2009

C update

Cameron started school on Wed. the 12th. He is attending the same school he did last year with most of the same students, but this year he goes M,W and F. On the first day of school, he brought home a sheet saying his favorite food is hot dogs, favorite color is red and his favorite thing to do is go to the park.

I had been trying a "good deeds" chart with him. He would get a star each time he did something like got himself dressed, helped pick up, stayed in his bed all night, etc. He would earn prizes along the way. But this didn't really seem to be motivating him. So, since he wants to buy toys every time we go somewhere, I decided to try motivating him with money. This way I could also try to teach him the value of a dollar. So, for every 5 stars he earns, he gets a dollar. The first week he earned $3. We had a chance to go to Target in the middle of the next week and by then he had earned $5. He chose 5 dinosaurs from the $1 bin. He found a couple other dollar items he liked, but I told him he would have to put 2 dinosaurs back if he wanted the other things. And he said, no that's okay. I gave him his money to pay and we were out the door. It was actually a quite pleasant experience. He gets a star when he stays in bed all night and we did go 5 nights in a row without him getting up, the 6th night, he got up just before 5 and I put him back in bed, but I'll take that. And last night, he stayed in bed all night. So, we are making progress!? But I'm not sure the stars are the motivating factor there.

Just a cute picture of the kids. We have been playing "horses" a lot lately. H created her horse all on here own. I feel like I should go buy her a real stick horse, but then I also think, hey if she's happy with that one, why pay the money for a real one.

No comments: