Thursday, October 29, 2009

30 Weeks

Here we are at just over 30 weeks. I had a midwife appointment last week. I about cried when I got on the scale. I have put on about 30 pounds! It doesn't make sense (as I explained to my midwife). I eat healthy and exercise, a lot. She didn't give me a hard time for gaining too much, all she said was, "Well, as we get older our metabolism does slow down." So, I have been trying to eat a little less and cut out some of the junk, not easy to do around my family and with the holidays. And it's one thing to be hungry when you aren't pregnant, but you just can't be when you are because along with hunger comes no energy and nausea (at least for me).
I really want to do a natural childbirth. And the more I read (I highly recommend "The Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth"), the more convinced I become that it's really the way to go (and the way nature intended). But when I think about how much pain you're in and for how long, I have my doubts that I can/want to do it. Plus, I'm planning on a big baby (which is actually better to have without an epidural so you can get in a better position). And although, I don't think the size of the baby really matters if you have an epidural, I'm sure it does if you don't. I just had a friend, who also really wanted a natural childbirth, have an 11lb 7oz baby eventually via c-section, my worst nightmare. So, could I please have a short labor and a small baby!
And the comments keep coming. Still more of the "you're so huge", "are you sure you're just having one" etc. I just respond with a "yes, so I've been told many times." But soon, they might get a punch in the face! A couple weeks ago, I was walking into teach my yoga class. I had had a good run, taken a shower, had make-up on, got the kids there relatively easy and was feeling pretty good. And I was greeted with, "Oh, Rebekah, are you all right?" As if I looked like I was about to die! As her friend is trying to help her get her foot out of her mouth, she said "It's just the mother in me". And I say, "Well, the mother in you should know that that's not what a pregnant women wants to hear." I'm sure I was putting out a lot of negative energy in that class. Perfect for yoga!

2 comments:

Rachel Clare said...

You don't look huge to me. And, I hear you on the weight gain. It doesn't seem to matter what I do (I did very little with Elias and gained 36 lbs, worked really hard with Rowan and gained FOURTY ONE,) and have been really good overall with this one - in eating and exercising- and I'm at 33 with 3 weeks left. I really wanted to gain 25 or less and it just doesn't work for me. Also, I'm going the natural route and using Hypnobirthing. If you haven't checked it out, you should. I'm actually really really excited to give birth and plan on having a very comfortable labor and delivery.

Liz said...

Oh Rebekah, I am so feeling you pain. People told me daily how big I was. I hated that, but I hated it even more how people CONSTANTLY told me how exhausted I looked, how I looked like I was having a really hard time, etc when I felt really good! Seriously, people. Don't say ANYTHING but "You look great!" to a pregnant woman.
And about the weight thing... I hate it. I had really different eating and exercise habits with each of my three kids. I was terrible when I was pregnant with Emeline- no exercise, terrible food. I was okay with Jarom. I ran for most of my pregnancy with Wes and ate really well. I gained the EXACT same amount of weight with each. So not fair.
I hope the natural route works for you! How big were your other kids? They told me Jarom would be huge and to plan a c-section. I said I'd take my chances. He was 7 lb 7 oz. Seriously people!
Okay, Glad to get that all out. Life isn't fair for pregnant people. I hope it goes as well as possible for you and that people start closing their big mouths in your presence! :)