Friday, April 30, 2010

Impatience and Cheetos

So, I had a hard day with the kids yesterday. Every Thursday morning they go with their dad to bagels. It's tradition. Then I teach a class and they go to "kids club". We come home for a bit and then go to the park for our play group. We usually stay about 2 hours. Which takes us until about 1 o'clock. The kids have been their usual whiny, fit throwing selves, but up until now, so far so good. On the way home from the park, I wanted to pick up some things at Walgreens. Cameron immediately starts talking about buying a toy. When I say he isn't going to get one, but I'll let him get a treat. He starts throwing a fit. So, I start throwing one back. I have no patience today! My lack of patience is probably exacerbated by my exhaustion. I tell him he doesn't need to get a toy every time we go to the store, that he has a birthday coming up and that he just bought a whole bunch of new toys while in Sea World (more on that later). I say we just won't go to Walgreens if they are going to be begging for toys. He then decides he won't ask for a toy and will settle for the treat. So, we went to Walgreens. And for her treat, Hannah picked out Cheetos. I hate Cheetos! But I also hate fits, especially in stores when I can't just drag the kid out because I need to get things and I have two other kids with me. When we get home, all the kids want to do is watch TV. Although, we've had a busy enough day up to this point, they've watched enough TV. So, all afternoon we have fits about me not letting them watch TV. Hannah is pretty good about playing on her own, but Cameron is not (after nearly 5 years, it has not gotten better). And H is more likely to "molest" me if Cameron is also. And that is exactly what he does all day if I am not either playing with him or letting him watch TV. The kids are also fighting a lot. We make it through dinner and getting ready for bed. Chuck had to leave before the kids where in bed for a meeting. I got them all in bed relatively easy and was spending my time getting the house cleaned up when I thought I heard H. So, I go to check on her and she is laying in a pile of puke! Much of it was in her hair, huge chunks. I bathe her, get her sheets changed and get her back in bed before Chuck gets home. But, shortly after Chuck gets home, she does it again. Only this time not as bad. It only requires a pajama top change and sheets changed. She was fine when she went to bed and fine the rest of the night. I'm convinced it was too many Cheetos. I have Cheetos! So, not only do I go to bed later than planned because of the puking, but I go to bed mad at myself for being so impatient with my kids during the day. Even with the addition of Christian and Hannah being very difficult lately, I haven't been going to bed feeling like that much lately, but when I do, I hate it. I hate losing my patience with my kids!

No comments: