Sunday, February 26, 2017

"If you continue to let your kid ride his bike, I am calling CPS."

As a family, we like to ride our bikes.  And our kids KNOW how to ride a bike (safety, courtesy, rules of the road, etc.) Of all the kids, Christian probably likes to ride the most. And as a health professional, I encourage physical activity.  We live about 2 miles from the elementary school where our kids attend, so we ride our bikes. We have to cross a major street, but we are able to cross at the canal where there is a pedestrian crosswalk and light.  When coming home, we cross the street and get on the sidewalk where we ride against traffic for about 30 feet before turning left on our street. We don't normally ride against traffic, or on the sidewalk, but in this case it's really the safest thing we can do.  Well, one day there was a car stopped on our street at the stop sign getting ready to turn onto the major road.  Christian wasn't sure what to do, so he rode in front of the car and turned left after he passed him.  Well, at the same time, a car was turning onto our street from the major street and nearly hit Christian.  Christian did not seem concerned a tall.  But of course, I talked to him about what he should have done different.  The guy driving the car (we will call him Howard because that is his name) stopped at the stop sign, left a note on my door the next day wanting to talk about the incident.  So, I called him.  He said that he did not see Christian until he was in front of his car and that the guy turning onto our street (we will call him Paul because that is his name) did not see him either and they were very shaken up.  Honestly, I do no know how neither one of them saw us.  After all, traffic stopped for us and there were three of us.  But I thanked Howard for his concern and assured him I had talked to Christian.  He then proceeded to tell me that Christian was too young to be riding his bike on the street (even in the neighborhood), that he (Christian) was not going to listen to me, and that if I continued to let Christian ride his bike he was going to call CPS.  I basically said he should do what he felt like he needed to do and I hung up.  I went to talk to Paul and he was totally cool and did not place any of the blame on Christian and thought that Howard was out of line. Several days later, we were stopped at the stop sign just as Howard was and a guy who lives in our neighborhood did the exact same thing Christian did (rode right in front of me and turned left after riding past me) and Christian said "Hey, he just did what I did."  Needless to say, we didn't make Christian stop riding his bike and CPS has not been called.

No comments: