I remember in November of 2005 walking into the house on Diamond Dr. and knowing it was meant to be our house. In March of 2006, we moved in having bought the house for $326,000. After living there for almost 16 years, Chuck started talking about wanting to move. We had paid off the house and I thought it was crazy to move when we had no mortgage. But then I started wanting a little more space. We had very specific wants/needs and would not move unless those were met. The number one want was a three car garage (preferably not in the front of the house) followed by 4 bedrooms, a bigger laundry room, single story and it had to be in the same area. Chuck had been keeping his eye on a neighborhood he really liked but homes were rarely sold. One day in January, I texted a friend, Melanie, who is a real estate agent. I asked her to keep an eye out for us. Within hours, if not minutes, she sent me a link to a house going on the market that Saturday. It was in the perfect location and met all our requirements (except for the garage not being in the front). It was listed for $895,000, which I thought was a little much. And based on the pictures, I did not love it. But I thought we should at least check it out. We, along with many other potential buyers, went to the open house that next Saturday. After seeing the house in person, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would and Chuck loved it. Probably because of the 4 car detached garage/workshop in the back. As we were walking around, we saw the owners' diplomas on the wall and noticed they were both engineers. We decided to put an offer in, thinking there was no way we would get it. There was an offer on the house before it was even officially on the market. I told Chuck we needed to find out if we had any connection to the owners seeing that they were engineers. Chuck dismissed me and said it wouldn't matter, they only cared about getting as much money as they could. After a little back and forth, we made our final offer of $930,000. After a couple of days, Melanie called to say that they had accepted a much higher offer. In the meantime, Chuck realized that he knew the owners who were now retired but had worked at Honeywell for many years. He got their email and sent them a note, but at this point they had accepted the higher offer. A week later, Melanie called me and said the deal had fallen thru and asked if we were still interested. Yes, we were! Because we owned our home and had quite a bit of money saved plus inheritance from Judy, we did not need to sell the Diamond house before purchasing this one, which should have made things easier. But the financial/loan process turned out to be a miserable experience. When we thought we weren't going to get the house, we started moving some money around and we think that made the lenders nervous. In addition, I do not think those at the brokerage firm had their acts together. But it all worked out in the end.
The house sits on 7/8 of an acre as do most of the houses in the neighborhood, many of which have horses or a variety of other animals. It has a country feel but is in the middle of the city. The backyard has grass with trees, a pool and the detached garage which serves as an office for Chuck, a workout room for me, bike parking, a workshop, and storage. Several of the trees are very close to the pool and they like to drop things into the pool regularly. The boys are each responsible mowing half the yard. It takes them about 45 minutes each with a push mower. They hate it and are lobbying for a riding lawn mower. The front yard is desert landscape and is Chuck's responsibility along with the trimming of trees and pool maintenance. Hannah is responsible for sweeping the back porch and pool deck. Inside it is 4 bedrooms (one is really an office), is very open, has beautiful custom made wood doors and Saltillo tile throughout with the exception of the bedrooms minus the master. It is a lot of tile! Saltillo is beautiful and perfect in its imperfections but I do miss carpet. The door to the house from the garage enters into the kitchen which is nice for when bringing in groceries. The bathroom has a door that exits to the pool which prevents wet kids from walking thru the house. The blinds in are inside the window and therefore don't require dusting. There is a water softener which I didn't think would make that much of a difference, but I love it. No scrubbing hard water stains off of the shower wall or spots on the glassware from the dishwasher. It is also relatively quiet inside. I can rarely hear the birds chirping or the leaf blowers blowing when I am inside. In addition to the extra space in the detached garage, there is a lot of storage in the main garage.
The house was move in ready. All we had to do was paint the interior. (I couldn't stand the grey that the previous owners had chosen.) We moved in mid-March and are pretty much settled as of July. After we moved in, we got the Diamond house ready to sell. We knew it would sell quickly without doing much, so we just cleaned it up and started showings. We had offers the first weekend. We had a couple young couples interested but we ultimately sold to an investor (who tried to make us believe she wasn't an investor) because she offered us $605,000 when our asking price was $560,000. She wanted us to do some stupid stuff (replace the AC, cut down a cactus, etc) and she did some shady stuff, so we said we would do the reasonable stuff (fix a plumbing issue, treat termites, etc.) and she countered and asked if we would just take $8,000 off the agreed upon price. So we sold it to her for $597,000. She immediately ripped out the carpet and updated the bathrooms then put it up for rent. After that, I thought it looked terrible and wish we would have sold it to one of the young couples. But we did get a good price for it and we were thankful it sold so quickly.
It was hard to leave the Lakeshore Ward. We had been there since Cameron was 9 months old. We felt like we belonged, we had lots of friends and we had good leadership. I thought that if it didn't work out in our new ward, which we had heard was very small and very old, which it is, we could just get a boundary exception and stay in Lakeshore. But our first Sunday in the new ward, Corona 2nd, people told us they have been praying that families with kids would move into the ward. The kids have settled in pretty well. They have good leaders and do not feel like the YM/YW is that much different. (Both are full of weird kids.) There are fewer kids, but not by that much. Cameron and Hannah didn't have close friends in Lakeshore. Christian had a great group of kids and now there are only 2 Deacons but he is still included in Lakeshore activities. We are in the same stake and with all the wards being somewhat small, the stake does a lot together.
Diamond house- (professional pics)
Knight house- (iPhone pics)




No comments:
Post a Comment