We picked up our race packets the day before (because you were charged extra if you didn't) and had Chuck drop us off the morning of the race. I was originally going to drive to the bus loading zone but because Chuck wanted to be at the finish line (or maybe he was there because I said "You don't want to be at the finish line when your daughter finishes her first half marathon?"), I thought it would be easier if he dropped us off, parked and rode his bike while we raced. That was a smart move because traffic was so backed up, that we ended up jumping out of the car and walking a 1/4 mile or so to the buses. But I had to go to the bathroom which were another 1/4 mile away (and in true race fashion, I barely made it to the bathroom), so we walked there and then back to the buses. We got on the bus at 5:15am, which was scheduled to be the last bus, but there were still so many people needing to get to the start that I can't believe they weren't loading people on buses for quite some time after 5:15am. We got to the start line very early, so we ate breakfast, went to the bathroom, tried to keep warm, etc. I convinced Hannah to leave me and once the race started, she did not hesitate. I knew she wanted to get under 2 hours and I knew she could if she left me. I wanted to finish in 2:20. I felt great the whole race and was just a few seconds over 2:20 but I did slow down a bit the last few miles to run with a 15 year old girl, named Lorelei (yes, named after Lorelei from Gilmore Girls) who was starting to struggle a bit. I am not a fan of the big races and it wasn't the most scenic race, but over all it was a great day. And I was super impressed by and proud of Hannah.







No comments:
Post a Comment