Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Spring Sports

Cameron decided not to play baseball this year.  He would have had to play varsity and we haven't loved, or even liked, the varsity coach, and he knew he wouldn't get any playing time.  I was disappointed because I love to watch him play baseball but I supported his decision.  (As it turned out, just about the whole varsity team was unhappy with the coach.). But after about two weeks of not having anything to do after school, Cameron was going crazy and decided to play tennis.  He caught on very quickly.  He won his first couple of matches but his opponents were not very good.  He lost quite a few matches but played really well against those who were better than him.  The tennis environment is the complete opposite of football.  The coach was amazing!  It was the coaches first year at MdN.  He was organized, communicated well, was supportive and encouraging.  Cameron is pretty competitive and for the most part, he has outgrown his fit throwing. But there was one match where he was not playing well at all.  I was telling him to calm down and take a few breaths.  Then he really started making a fool of himself, kicking and hitting his head on the fence.  I told him to get it together and he yelled at me and told me to leave.  So I did.  That will go down as one of the four most embarrassing moments of my life (Cameron is responsible for two, both of them sports related).  That evening Cameron came home with an orchid for me and an apology.  He asked if I would go to his match the next day.  So I did and then the coach very nicely told me not to talk to him during the match.  I hope there's not a next time, but if there is, I hope he can keep from making a fool of himself.  I am so glad I didn't see his fit going viral on the internet.  Cameron was the only Senior on the tennis team, so there wasn't really a Senior Night. But they did have an informal end of the season dinner and award ceremony.  I was out of town, so there are no pictures, but Cameron received the Joe Sellah award.  









Christian made the JV baseball team again this year.  He was excited to make JV because his friends were playing JV and he wasn't sure he would like the varsity coach.  It was not the best season, with only a couple of wins.  Christian played many different positions and got to pitch more than he ever has.  





No comments: