Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Backpack 2010

Last week was the annual summer backpack trip (AKA or FKA BAJ). It was a 20+ mile, 7 day, 6 night trip near Ouray, CO. This year Chuck, Lily, Emma, Cameron and Hannah went. As well as Jonathan, Darien and Annie. Along with Tim (Chuck's brother) and his son, Preston. (If Tim makes it, this is the only time during the year Chuck and Tim see or talk to each other.) Originally, H was not going to go, but in the last weeks, Chuck decided to take her. She had gone on all the practice trips, and failed miserably, but despite that, Chuck said he just couldn't bare to leave her. I said, yes, she'd be upset, but she'd get over it. And that morning, as I was doing her hair and Chuck was packing, she kept saying. "Don't leave me Daddy." Which further sealed the deal. Understanding he'd have to carry her the whole way (she did walk a bit the first day), he still wanted to take her. And he DID have to carry her the whole way. Other than that, Chuck said she did great. However, my brother tells a different story:) She did get sick the last couple of days and is still sick along with Chuck. Chuck USED TO tell me that you never get sick in the wilderness. He can't say that any longer! Here are a couple stories I heard from the trip:
Chuck, Lily and Emma got sick Monday night (the 2nd night on the trial). The attribute it to food poisoning from tuna. The all threw up all night. They took the next day easy, but couldn't stay at the camp because there was too much puke everywhere....
There was quite a bit of arguing amongst the boys. One argument was about the resurrection. D and C have been taught that everyone will be resurrected. D believes even the dinosaurs, C, says no, not the dinosaurs. Preston has been taught that once you die that's it....
Chuck said the scenery was amazing, the kids played well together, and C walked the whole way.
I'm glad everyone made it home safe and sound!




Preston and Tim (Chuck's bro, if you couldn't tell)

Hannah Grace




love this picture!



C got stung on the lip by a bee




C and D

not sure if this was suppose to be a "silly" picture, but I LOVE Annie's face!

H sitting on a rock by herself



so cute!




As for me, I enjoyed my time with only one child. Baby C was pretty good, so I got a lot done. I cleaned house, worked out (baby C was my little running buddy), shopped, ran errands, got baby C's scrapbook started and up to date, took naps, and even read a book (BTW, I would not recommend Little Bee). I got everything on my list crossed off with the exception of weeding the garden which was more about not wanting to do it versus not having enough time. I do miss my kids when they are away, but LOVE the time without them! It's good for all of us.

1 comment:

Jen Tapler said...

Wow - great pics! That looks like an amazing trip, but I can't imagine doing that with that many small kids! I can't believe Chuck carried his pack AND Hannah!!