Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Don't Want to go to School Today

Well, I knew it would come sooner or later, but it came much sooner (years sooner) than I thought it would. For the last two days, C has said he does not want to go to school. On Tues., as we talked about his day, he said he didn't get lunch. Our conversation went like this:
Me: Why didn't you get lunch?
C: I forgot to put my lunch in the basket (when they get to school they put their lunch in a basket that is taken to the cafeteria)
Me: Did you tell someone?
C: Yes. I started to cry and told someone wearing an orange vest.
Me: What did she say?
C: She told me to stop crying.
Me: That is all she said?
C: Yes.
Me: What did you do?
C: I stopped crying and went to sit down.
Me: Did you tell your teacher?
C: No.
Well, upon further investigation, I found out that he was given a school lunch, but did not want to eat it. His teacher told him he could eat his lunch when he got back to the classroom, but he said he did not want to. I was relieved to hear that he did not have to sit at lunch without a lunch and that his teacher was willing to let him eat his lunch when they got back. I'm sure he was embarrassed that he forgot to put his lunch in the baskey, may have not been treated to kindly by the lunch room attendant and couldn't understand why he couldn't have his lunch. And now, in combination with some other things: he doesn't have enough time to play with Christian, he doesn't get to watch enough TV, there isn't enough time at recess, and there are too many rules, he doesn't want to go to school. It makes me sad that he already doesn't want to go to school. I started wondering this morning if I should have put him in a 1/2 day program. I don't think 5 yr olds need to be in school all day, but that's pretty much the way it is these days. In addition, for the last 5 years, Cameron has been a challenge for me, wanting to be entertained non-stop. It's exhausted me, it's exhausting me...and now H and baby C are doing the same things. But would it have been so bad to put him in 1/2 day??? Chuck says he would complain no matter what. It's his nature. He's probably right! I really hope he can get used to things and love it. And I hope while at school, he is surrounded by people who genuinely care about him and listen to him.

1 comment:

The Palmer family said...

Poor Cameron! D feels his pain. He said a lot of the same things and still says them. My mom said we all complained a time or two when we were younger but i truyly don't remember not liking elementary school. I really liked it. I think they are taking a lot of the fun stuff out of school nowadays. In our conversation the other day I forgot to tell you about the crazy amount of homework D had in kindergarten! I really liked his teacher but this was the one thing I didn't like, the 5 pages of worksheets for their spelling words. ridiculous. It got a little better for Darien as the year went on. Its just a lot for them to take in at the beginning.