Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Day in the Life

Here is an example of a typical day in the Royalty household...
I come in from my morning workout. Both kids are awake and C instantly says "Play with me Mom." We play for a bit, but I'm starving to death, so I get up to have breakfast. C throws a fit because I am no longer playing with him. After breakfast and Caillou, we attempt getting ready for our day. I finally have C getting dressed by himself but H thinks it's fun to run away from me while I'm trying to get her dressed. This makes me nuts! We get in the car to go to the Y. H wants to go for a walk. She takes off down the street and around the corner before I can catch up to her. She ignores me when I say stop. She resists getting in her car seat. Once we've made it to the Y, I have a good workout and a break (which is already needed) from the kids. It takes us quite some time to gather our things (the kids always have to take an animal/doll with them and they always take off their shoes), wash our hands, and get to the car. Again, more resistance from H about getting in her car seat. We head to story time. It is where H took art classes. She recognizes this and says she wants to go to art class. When I tell her we aren't going to class but to story time, she throws a fit. During story time, H engages a little, but C not at all. Eventually, they are both on my lap. As we are leaving, H throws another fit because I won't buy her M&M's from the vending machine. We get home, C wants to watch Scooby Doo. I want to watch Young and the Restless for a bit while I fix lunch. C throws a fit about that. Rather than going to play, both kids sit and watch Y&R. So, I put on Scooby Doo. We have lunch and the kids eat virtually nothing, as usual. We play for a bit, but as we are playing, I am falling asleep. I tell them it's time for stories and a nap. As we read, they climb on me, don't listen, complain about the book, pull the book away from me etc. I receive relatively little resistance on going down for a nap (this is no longer the norm). After naps, we head to the park. C's friend told him he was going to the park today, so C is convinced he will be there. Of course, he is not nor is anyone else. H wants me to swing her, C wants me to build a sand castle (with dry sand) with him. After about 1/2 hour C packs up the toys and says he is ready to go. He carries the toys to the car while H throws yet another fit because she wanted to carry the toys. I get dinner ready and soon Chuck is home. I'm molested thru out dinner as usual, but H is getting better about having to be on my lap. Chuck gives the kids a shower and I help them get PJ's on. Chuck has a church meeting, so I read to the kids, with better luck than at nap time, and put them to bed relatively easily. I sit on the couch and recover before I get up to clean the kitchen. This was a relatively good day. Normally, we have many more fits from C. Being a stay at home mom is not easy! But it's worth it.

1 comment:

Eliza2006 said...

Sometimes I feel like I'm knocking myself out with little things that don't matter and have to constantly remind myself that it's okay to scale back. There is nothing at nap time around here besides naps...In bed, kiss kiss, I love you and I shut the door and that's that. At bedtime we usually have a book, sing a song and say prayers...if I'm feeling frazzled we forgo the book and do an abbreviated version of our routine. That break time is soooo sacred! Now if I could just put myself to bed a little earlier, I would be good as gold. Sometimes I enjoy my breaks a little too much and stay up way to late!