Sunday, January 10, 2021

Eagle Scout

In the Fall of 2019 Cameron completed all the requirements needed to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout with the biggest requirement being the Eagle project.  Cameron found an organization that provides temporary residence to women and their children fleeing domestics abuse and they needed a toy shed built at the residence.  Cameron began communicating with the director but somewhere along the way, she gave the project to another scout.  Cameron was very upset.  However, I did tell him that sometimes things happen for a reason and maybe it wasn't meant to be.  He quickly found another organization, Gathering Humanity, that provides assistance to families seeking refuge in the United States.  He partnered with them to gather all the items needed to furnish an apartment for a family of 7.  He gathered donations of things such as kitchenware, bedding, decorations, furniture, and personal hygiene items from family and friends.  What he was not able to collect, he bought with money that had been donated.  Unfortunately he was not able to set up the apartment because at the time President Trump was not letting refugees into the country.  Instead we took all the collected items to the warehouse and organized them there.  We were hoping one day to be able to set up an apartment, but over a year later, it has not happened.  We finally decided to have the Court of Honor in November.  Because of Covid-19, we thought is best to hold the Court of Honor outside.  We held it at our stake center which is right next to a high school that was having an outdoor dance recital at the same time.  It was a Court of Honor that I am sure will never be forgotten.  Because The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was ending their relationship with the Boy Scouts of American on December 31, 2019, I did not think Cameron had the time or maturity to complete his Eagle project.  But he decided it was something he wanted to do and both Chuck and I supported him in his effort.  But we did not do it for him.  There were times I didn't think he was going to get it done.  But he managed to pull it out and I am very proud of him.




No comments: